Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

Photo

New Archie Lawsuit

Archie

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

Looks like Archie just got into trouble again with another lawsuit.  Take a look:

http://www.tssznews....-entertainment/

Free Scribes of Mobius are discussing the issue.  Might be wise to check them out for more details.

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

#2 Ishapar

Ishapar

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Here is FSOM link about the lawsuit if any of you are interested:  http://freescribesof...e/?_fromLogin=1

Before honor comes humility.

The Most High God created this world we live in, and He created man in His image for Himself.  Whether we like it or not doesn't change the truth nor does it change the consequences.

gallery 51493 212 294091

#3 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:54 AM

.... It's a curse.

#4 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

I find the whole thing rather suspicious. Why is this guy now after all these years deciding to have a dispute with Archie. Going to court over a bunch of literal who's? that nobody misses or even cared much for to begin with. What a legacy worth fighting for...I feel he is only doing this because he saw Ken Penders pull the same crap and walked away with riches. Archie needs to hire some fucking better lawyers because it seems every two bit writer seems capable of just rolling over them.

#5 Misk

Misk

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

I find the whole thing rather suspicious. Why is this guy now after all these years deciding to have a dispute with Archie. Going to court over a bunch of literal who's? that nobody misses or even cared much for to begin with. What a legacy worth fighting for...I feel he is only doing this because he saw Ken Penders pull the same crap and walked away with riches. Archie needs to hire some fucking better lawyers because it seems every two bit writer seems capable of just rolling over them.

From what I gather, this guy is taking issue with the re-releases.

So basically he wants to completely screw over everyone and make a few dollars.

#6 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

I've talking with Donnie from TSSZ and he's gonna keep me updated.

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#7 Louis the Hedgehog

Louis the Hedgehog

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

Indeed they do.

A petition to keep up to a third of the characters in the sonic comics from being lost forever.

https://www.change.o...-hedgehog-comic

To those who want to give this "new direction" a chance, don't say I didn't warn you.

#8 Janus

Janus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Rather disappointing to be honest.  I can't see future Sonic Archives ever being released at this point if any other past writers decide to sue Archie over their characters being shown in reprints of old stories.  I don't read the post reboot stuff, so I was hoping we would get some more archive releases someday.

#9 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Rather disappointing to be honest.  I can't see future Sonic Archives ever being released at this point if any other past writers decide to sue Archie over their characters being shown in reprints of old stories.  I don't read the post reboot stuff, so I was hoping we would get some more archive releases someday.

Circumstances being as they are, I guess it can't be helped.

Not that I think it would've made much of a difference. The later issues prior to Ian's run aren't that fondly remembered by readers anyway.

#10 blue

blue

Veteran poster

• Fellow FUSer
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

Did it really ended like that?

#11 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

I wouldn't say Ken walked away with "riches", exactly, but he did get the things he wanted most, which was the right to use his characters and royalties if Archie uses them. The latter is why Archie simply removed them from the comic.

#12 blue

blue

Veteran poster

• Fellow FUSer
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

I wouldn't say Ken walked away with "riches", exactly, but he did get the things he wanted most, which was the right to use his characters and royalties if Archie uses them. The latter is why Archie simply removed them from the comic.

And how is Ken doing with his new story, Lara-Sue Chronicles or something like that?

Looks like Archie just got into trouble again with another lawsuit.  Take a look:

http://www.tssznews....-entertainment/

Free Scribes of Mobius are discussing the issue.  Might be wise to check them out for more details.

I guess getting rid of any original character from Archie Sonic didn't deflect any future lawsuit.

#13 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

And how is Ken doing with his new story, Lara-Sue Chronicles or something like that?

No release time yet. I doubt he is ever going to release it

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#14 DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek

Starship Captain

• Fellow FUSer
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

I knew Fulop would follow in Penders footsteps...

"You're watching a poster!"

#15 HeavensChampion

HeavensChampion

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

Everyone's out to get Archie Comics, it seems.

#16 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:39 PM

Everyone's out to get Archie Comics, it seems.

I dont think its necessarily that, I think it's more or less Archie had questionable bookkeeping and filing and it came back to haunt them.

I dont understand why these guys all want their characters. The royalty aspect is understandable (like in WWE, everyone gets a cut of dvd sales and such, even if they've been retired for 15 years. Kamala showed his recently cause someone asked) and they I do think they deserve a cut of any sales, though I think they ask for too much, but what are they going to actually do with their characters. Penders can use his character cause he made and entire culture and history for the, regardless of how bad it was, and in theory he could make something out of it... though from storyboards and artwork Penders has posted it looks to be a complete flop and there's Sega who can always step in and say something. Fulop on the other hand I dont think he really can do much with his characters as a lot of them, outside of a very small handful, were secondary and background characters. If he wanted to do a standalone with someone lke Mogul, I guess he can but would he gain any success from it?

#17 Janus

Janus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm not really sure how they can sue Archie to begin with.  Even if writers create new characters, I imagine that Archie uses a similar policy to DC and Marvel where writers have work for hire contracts where all that they create is owned by the parent company.  So Archie, and therefore, Sega as well would own all of the characters.  I can't understand how the courts could let the lawsuit progress.  And I know I seem to keep harping on this, but I would really like to have more archives reprinting the old material.  I've read all of it before, but it's been a long time, and I don't have all of the old issues.

#18 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've always thought that myself. Writers are writers for hire..there for charcaters they create shouldmt belong to them..BUT it all depends on how the contracts and copy write is worded. Obviously Penders found a way.

This almost tells me that Archies lawyers or whomever back in the day had loopholes in contracts. Obviously not planner..But someone found them.

#19 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

Well, the issue with Penders was either Penders never signed such a contract or Archie lost whatever contract they had him sign. Presumably the situation with Fulop is similar.

Still, Penders must have known that Archie expected to retain the rights to his creations, and that's why I'm not on his side.

#20 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

Well, the issue with Penders was either Penders never signed such a contract or Archie lost whatever contract they had him sign. Presumably the situation with Fulop is similar.

Still, Penders must have known that Archie expected to retain the rights to his creations, and that's why I'm not on his side.

If I remember correctly, they had a contract but they lost it due to a fire. No one ever bothered to copy it. Which is why I said Questionable bookkeeping

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users