Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Shadow : (24 March 2020 - 06:31 PM)

I'm still waiting to see if my attempts to sign up for EI have gone through or not. Phone lines are impossible to get through.

@  furrykef : (23 March 2020 - 05:58 PM)

There's talk that they may have found a cure for the virus. Here's hoping.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 07:27 PM)

Yeah, our D&D sessions and just going out for drinks at local breweries is basically gone right now. We're thinking of doing remote sessions but it's still not the same.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 03:28 PM)

It just sucks cause my friends and I can't do our usual weekend stuff cause most of the restaurants we go to are closed or takeout only

@  furrykef : (22 March 2020 - 11:20 AM)

I know exactly how you feel.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Yeah, there's a part of me that, as an introvert, should be totally OK with the concept of staying home. But there's also a huge part of me that is incredibly unnerved by the concept of having the choice taken away. Before, it felt like something I wanted to do, but now it just feels lonely and sad.

@  A Fox in a D... : (22 March 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Ah, no worries. Thanks for clarifying. <3

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 05:31 AM)

I absolutely recognize that this is going to have a change in how we do things, for better or for worse. There's going to be some positive changes out of this and some negative changes as well. I get this is something we haven't seen in 100 years.

If I came off as insensitive, I should apologize and explained what I meant a bit more.

@  Wulfsbane : (22 March 2020 - 05:23 AM)

You misunderstand. My daily life consists of me going to work and going home. When I order food out I usually get take out anyways. See I work 2nd shift so my options of what I can/can't do is limited by time anyways and hasn't effected me as much, the only real thing being I can't sit down at the diner when I get out at 11pm-12am on a Friday night. So when I say I'm not changing much of my daily life it's because my routine is at a point where my interactions with people, in person, are limited to begin with

@  A Fox in a D... : (20 March 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Regardless of how you feel Covid affects you personally, there's an absolute change this puts on everyone globally, especially small businesses and at-risk people. It will influence how we look at the media landscape, how we deliver entertainment and services, and workplace practices going forward, some long term, some short, some good and some bad. These sort of pandemics don't come around with zero wake, and we've already seen that and are seeing it right now. If you don't think anything is different, then you aren't looking hard enough.

@  A Fox in a D... : (20 March 2020 - 10:09 AM)

No, Covid is it's already costing businesses and lives, and it's made life difficult for just about everyone I know, particularly in my industry where we've having to scramble to ship games from home. What you're doing is unwise and irresponsible, and you're not the only person in existence, so you can keep your "not really".

@  Wulfsbane : (19 March 2020 - 08:57 PM)

Not really. I'm still going about it as if nothing's different

@  GetCrazyWith... : (18 March 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Covid is going to screw up all our lives

@  RedAuthar : (17 March 2020 - 09:43 PM)

I know your pain Ben, I know your pain...

@  Shadow : (16 March 2020 - 08:13 PM)

Lucky you.

@  Wulfsbane : (16 March 2020 - 05:16 AM)

I still gotta work

@  A Fox in a D... : (16 March 2020 - 12:03 AM)

It's only boring if you make it so. I'm stuffing my quarantine with as much art as I can muster.

@  furrykef : (13 March 2020 - 07:16 AM)

Stupid COVID-19 got chess club canceled. I guess I should prepare myself for a particularly boring next few months.

@  furrykef : (24 February 2020 - 08:05 PM)

Don't post videos in the Shoutbox.

@  bwrosas : (23 February 2020 - 10:06 PM)

Photo

Would Implying Sonic's Speed Isn't Natural Be Heresy?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

The lastest thing alive

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

It's something I'm toying with in my SatAM universe reboot fanfic.

#2 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

It's gotta be the shoes!

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#3 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

The lastest thing alive

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Actually it probably wouldn't be that heinous considering those early promo comics made the same implication.

#4 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

While my inner Commissar is threatening to shoot you, no it's not really heresy. 

Usually his speed is explained by chaos magic, technology/genetic mutation, or just having a super power.  None of these are bad theories or ideas.  The thing is in SatAM, Sonic is the only one with a super power, so it almost feels necessary that his speed has an origin and isn't natural.  

#5 chief

chief

An7imatt3r was here =p

• Admins
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Well the rings were designed for him were they not?   Which even the leads to something more on the unnatural spectrum of things.

#6 SkyeFlyer

SkyeFlyer

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

Personally, I always thought it was all those chili dogs. He's jet-propelled.

#7 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

The lastest thing alive

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:15 PM

Ew...but fair.

#8 ShenFNWoo

ShenFNWoo

Order of Swords Final Boss

• Fellow FUSer
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Magic makes the most sense. The amount of things you wouldn't believe that would become obstacles and barriers to him running that fast is more than you would think. Apparently bugs would punch holes through him once he gets close to 1000 mph, if I heard that one because science video correctly.

My art:  http://shen-fn-woo.deviantart.com/

http://www.furaffini.../shenfuckinwoo/

Advertising the community "The Free Scrubs of Mobius".  Free of everything valuable, including humor.  Let them help you with your personal online conflicts, while ignoring your IRL struggles.  Participating in such honest activities as trying to undermine another community's right to govern their site by stealing their users.  Their banner:  http://orig08.devian...woo-db57bnk.png

#9 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:29 PM

Wasn't one of the theories something along the lines of the chaos emeralds gave him the speed.

Magic is also plausible though it could also relate the emeralds... so both?

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#10 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

It was always my intention to show Sonic's speed as a byproduct of Uncle Chuck's experimentation following a prophecy from the Minister of Magic before the King dissolved the ministry.  With his brother's permission, he would treat his unborn nephew with a formula he had perfected the year before with the son of one of the King's knights (see my name lol).  This treatment resulted in inherent speed far beyond what any natural Mobian was capable of, making Sonic's abilities unique to him alone.  At least that is, until he had children of his own. ;)

As Sonic would have been treated with a more refined formula than my character Wildfire, Max's speed would fall short of Sonic's and may even burn out at some point, leaving him no different than any other Mobian.  I eventually stopped writing SatAM fan fiction as the computer I had it all on took a shit some years ago and the website I had posted it all to had been gone long before that.  I never did get around to posting them here, as much as I may have meant to.  I'm actually still writing these days, but I've turned my attention to more original work.

My X-Box LIVE Gamertag: a b1ue streak

Feel free to add me

3-22-05/8-23-11/2-17-12 Gone but never forgotten (I miss you guys)

#11 MauEvig

MauEvig

Feline Warrior Guardian

• Fellow FUSer
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

What about Tails? Doesn't he technically have a "super power?" I don't know too many other foxes with two tails, let alone can spin them around to fly with them. Of course I kind of head canon he might be at least part kitsune, since multiple tailed foxes are in a lot of Japanese lore (and Sonic was originally made in Japan, so...).

Anyway, I think it might be a mutation of some kind, and it's something that's rare. I also think it's a recessive gene, so in order for Sonic to have had it, his parents would have both had to carry the gene. 

But that's my two cents.

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

I always thought Tails as a natural ability caused by his mutation. Sonic is fast because his power, Tails taught himself to fly using his mutation.

I guess you could argue it's a XMen style super power.

#13 NotSoFast

NotSoFast

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:04 AM

I always thought Tails as a natural ability caused by his mutation. Sonic is fast because his power, Tails taught himself to fly using his mutation.

Same. I think that's how we're supposed view it, his two tails allowing him to mimic a helicopter's two-bladed rotors.

#14 MauEvig

MauEvig

Feline Warrior Guardian

• Fellow FUSer
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

I guess you could argue it's a XMen style super power.

Same. I think that's how we're supposed view it, his two tails allowing him to mimic a helicopter's two-bladed rotors.

When I was a kid I would have thought so, but after gaining a better understanding of Japanese cultures (and I'm still a long way away from actually understanding them completely) multiple tailed foxes are a big part of their lore and typically means they have some kind of special powers. 
Of course, if we go strictly by SatAM's portrayal of Tails, that may be the case. Of course, I can treat a natural mutation as a super power if it's used as such and I think using the tails to fly and even nearly keep up with Sonic counts in my opinion.

I do think some amount of magic is involved though, even if Tails is able to spin his tails around, I'm not exactly sure how he propels himself. But considering all the other things in this world that defies the laws of physics (Sonic's speed is the biggest one) it's not too much of a stretch.

#15 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

In Archie I think they imply it might have something to do with his Uncle's Magic, but never actually confirmed it.

#16 Janus

Janus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

As a child, I just figured Sonic was born with super speed just as Tails was born with two tails.  Never really thought it needed an explanation, but I think that some of y'all's theories do sound rather interesting.

#17 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:19 PM

On the whole Kitsune thing I have this to say:  In Japanese lore (I'm not terribly well versed) a fox gains a second tail after living for 100 years.  Every century afterward they would then gain another tail, and with it, become that much more powerful.  In folklore fox spirits are known as tricksters, masters of illusion that enjoyed getting into places they should not have been able.  Often they were portrayed as beautiful women, using this disguise to lure unsuspecting travelers off of the beaten path and into the woods for their own purposes.  With regards to this, when it comes to Tails there are one or two little details about the character that point in this direction.  The first of course is the second tail, implying heritage by existing alone.  Another well known fact about Miles "Tails" Prower, is that "he" was originally a "she", so the beautiful woman thing applies here as well.  Lastly we have Tails' intelligence, which was hinted at even in the original three games (no eight year old can fly a plane they built themselves) and would make sense if he were older than he appeared (like perhaps over 100?)

Feel free to add me

#18 MauEvig

MauEvig

Feline Warrior Guardian

• Fellow FUSer
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

I do think Tails being a kitsune makes sense, it explains why he's so intelligent and why he has a second tail.

Is there a source that implies Tails was originally going to be female?

Even if he's not a full kitsune, I think he's at least half. His father could have been a normal fox, while his mom was a kitsune. 

The only thing is I don't see Tails as a trickster, he's a good natured individual. Of course, he could have been luring Sonic into a trap this whole time, who knows?

#19 wildfire

wildfire

Pro Lurker

• Fellow FUSer
  • 252 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I do think Tails being a kitsune makes sense, it explains why he's so intelligent and why he has a second tail.

Is there a source that implies Tails was originally going to be female?

Even if he's not a full kitsune, I think he's at least half. His father could have been a normal fox, while his mom was a kitsune. 

The only thing is I don't see Tails as a trickster, he's a good natured individual. Of course, he could have been luring Sonic into a trap this whole time, who knows?

I can't recall where I read it originally, but as I understand it he was originally going to be female.  Apparently SEGA of America thought it was inappropriate that a young girl follow Sonic around, and then SoJ was basically already doing the same thing.  As for the trickster bit, you can be tricky and still be a good guy.  Think EVERY rogue in any RPG.  But I could go with the Kitsune thing, even if he isn't aware of it.  But mutation is probably easier to believe since Tails was a creation of SoA.

Feel free to add me

#20 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,599 posts

Posted 4 weeks ago

I have never actually seen any official material come out to say Tsils was meant to be a girl. Only rumors. Since his designer always wanted to use the name Miles Prower I find the rumor unfounded. That said Tails was only one design of Sonic's potential sidekick. So there could have been female designs that wasn't used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users