Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  chief : (09 November 2019 - 02:20 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/

@  Shadow : (31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM)

H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Sally acorn painting you can try to follow along, needs re-voicing as its just me for now.

@  Kev : (20 October 2019 - 02:18 PM)

Made another cartoon episode, its a painting tutorial on youtube check out my channel= 2D 3D CARTOONS

@  Wulfsbane : (05 October 2019 - 11:05 PM)

Well the player base went up exponentially since the switch.

@  wildfire : (05 October 2019 - 08:39 PM)

Probably to help Bungie now that Activision's money isn't backing them.

@  Wulfsbane : (03 October 2019 - 06:33 AM)

Destiny made the move to Steam.

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

Photo

What Was Going On At Sonic Team With Generations?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

So now the Sonic Boom games are out and the reviews really seem to be tearing both of them a new one. That's sad to hear - if the game doesn't sell well, I imagine these will be the last we see of Big Red Button making any Sonic games. I had high hopes for them considering their pedigree (BRB was formed by ex-Naughty Dog team members).

At this point I'm actually getting curious not about what went wrong with these new games but what was going so RIGHT back at Sonic Team with Colours and Generations. The team has had a terrible track record for the last decade plus - arguably starting with the Adventure games, that impressed everyone at launch but have aged terribly, and steadily declining thereafter.

Sonic Generations surprised the hell out of me - it's just an incredibly tight game mechanically for both its main modes of play. All the cruft and gimmicks from earlier games was dropped and the level of polish is much higher than the norm from the team. Then Lost World came out and they seemed to return to their trend of games centred around gimmicks that are more or less okay but rife with problems.

Maybe it's just that Sonic Team do better at iterating rather than innovating. Anyone else agree?
Si unde vara cade într-o joi
Acolo eu o sã mor
Ori buni, ori rãi, tot un mormînt!
În vînt…

ffn

#2 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

Meh...I've said it before I'll say it again.

I did NOT like Sonic Generations.  It's on the shelf with Unleashed and 06 for me.  In fact I had more fun with 06 then I did with Generations.  

The reason?  The gameplay mechanics were beautiful in Generations but that was about it.  The story was bland, even for a Sonic Game, the extra characters were a glorified cheering squad, the length of the game was terribly short only lengthened by required challenges that were un-fun at best.  

Being a player largely driven by the story/narrative Generations does nothing for me.  

Yes 06's story is terrible, convoluted, down right dumb, I still felt motivated to keep playing.  I played the game for like 4 or 5 hours straight because the story motivated me to keep going.  My run only ended when I died without saving losing that 4 to 5 hour run.  

For a Sonic Game to be successful, they would need to take the controls/mechanics from Generations, the epic scope design of Colors, and the story-telling of Adventure 2 (cuz Adventure 1 had a terrible story. )

#3 stm858

stm858

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

It's probably due to the nostalgia goggles, but I still love the Adventure games. The first one had a cool story, awesome gameplay and an incredible soundtrack while the second improved the stages (in the speed and treasure stages at least) and music (even though the overall sound mix is terrible with overlapping of voice clips which are barely audible when music is playing).

I still love Generations with the revisited stages and remixes of the music, but while Lost World 3DS was enjoyable through the first play-through, I've struggled to start it again.

So far from what I've heard of the Boom games though, this is Sonic 06 all over again on a heightened scale. The glitches that are pouring out of the woodworks in the first couple of days are rivalling that of Assassin's Creed: Unity, which is not something to boast about. This coupled with the mediocre first episode(s) of the TV series, and I have very little hope for this new IP left.

I really hate to be negative about the overall situation, but maybe it's time that Sonic took a break for a few years? Or at least spend more time on the next game to make sure it is refined and not buggy, as well as having a great story.

Maybe we need Sonic Adventure 3.

I kid, I kid. But seriously, these new games don't seem to be doing the franchise any favours.

#4 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Apperently, as of recently, there have been lots of people tearing apart the classic games as well. Many have decided to take a look back at the classic series and supposedly found problems with the gameplay which they claim transcended into the modern games.

I can't remember most of the details, but it goes to show just how the human mind works. If something upsets you, you spend the rest of your time demonizing it to justify your feelings.

#5 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well truthfully Sonic 1 is terrible. Everyone rrally only remembers 2

#6 stm858

stm858

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

If we're being honest here, Sonic CD is the only one I can't quite understand gets all the rep. Maybe it's because I played it much later, but I just thought the level design was awful and far too confusing. The music was kind of jarring too - much different to the rest of the Sonic games of the era. But maybe that's just me.

#7 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

I did NOT like Sonic Generations. It's on the shelf with Unleashed and 06 for me. In fact I had more fun with 06 then I did with Generations.

The reason? The gameplay mechanics were beautiful in Generations but that was about it. The story was bland, even for a Sonic Game, the extra characters were a glorified cheering squad, the length of the game was terribly short only lengthened by required challenges that were un-fun at best.
Being a player largely driven by the story/narrative Generations does nothing for me.

I can see why our opinions differ so largely on this game then when I note that every point that you make about why you didn't like Generations is one of the reasons I actually liked it a lot. The story was pure window dressing that could be safely ignored (like the old Mega Drive games), the extra characters stayed out of the way and the stages (despite their limited number) are well designed, with multiple routes and lots of room for exploits and tricks to rein in your fastest time with constant replays. Generations is nothing but pure gameplay and as one that is rather fond of speedrunning in games, I got a hell of a lot of value out of it. I have the PC version of the game and it's a beautiful port, running at twice the speed of the console games.

I've never played any Sonic game for the story, not really. I find most of them to be terrible. For good storytelling I just stick to the other Sonic media like SatAM (obviously) and the plethora of fan fiction that is out there.

Apperently, as of recently, there have been lots of people tearing apart the classic games as well. Many have decided to take a look back at the classic series and supposedly found problems with the gameplay which they claim transcended into the modern games.

I can't remember most of the details, but it goes to show just how the human mind works. If something upsets you, you spend the rest of your time demonizing it to justify your feelings.

I've seen that too. I don't know if it's really about justifying why they don't like a game so much as it is for the sake of being contrarian, and more importantly they are viewing it in a modern context instead of a historical one. People reviewed these games when they came out highly because there was nothing better around at the time.

I actually think there are some legit problems with the core Sonic platforming formula that have carried across into modern games - chiefly reconciling Sonic's ability to go extremely fast and having a limited field of view means you can't avoid danger on reflexes or pattern recognition but must instead gradually learn to anticipate them with rote memorisation of the level layouts. This got worse in games like Adventure and Heroes that were riddled with bottomless pits that meant instant death, coupled with twitchy, unreliable movement physics that take too much control out of the player's hands.

The ring mechanic also doesn't work well in my eyes and never did, ie there's no real difference in benefit between having one ring and one hundred aside from getting extra lives out of it (which themselves are another thing - the concept of lives and continues in games is archaic, and the Sonic franchise is one of the very last that still keeps it).
Acolo eu o sã mor
În vînt…

ffn

#8 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've never played any Sonic game for the story, not really. I find most of them to be terrible. For good storytelling I just stick to the other Sonic media like SatAM (obviously) and the plethora of fan fiction that is out there.

Ah, see I don't expect the Story of a Sonic game to be anything spectacular, but it has to make me feel like I'm achieving something by playing the game.  I'm not a fan of Multiplayer Online Shooters for the same reason.  

#9 ILOVEVHS

ILOVEVHS

The Urban Ranger

• Fellow FUSer
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

Well truthfully Sonic 1 is terrible. Everyone rrally only remembers 2

Sonic 2 is crap too.

I only ever liked CD and 3 and Knuckles

image.jpg

#10 NeonBlack

NeonBlack

How cold is the sun

• Tech Guy
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Sonic 2 is crap too.

You take that back right now. :(
Acolo eu o sã mor
În vînt…

ffn

#11 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,573 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

Sonic 2 is crap too.

You take that back right now. :(
Well compared to Sonic 3 and Knuckles it is.

#12 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users