Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Wulfsbane : (09 September 2019 - 10:12 AM)

We'll probably see Tracer soon

@  Shadow : (06 September 2019 - 10:48 PM)

I'd rather see Mai in Smash

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 09:05 AM)

I'm more surprised about the Fatal Fury character.

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

Really wasn't keen on the idea of Sans being playable, but I guess he's in the same vein as Ness/Lucas

@  Wulfsbane : (06 September 2019 - 08:00 AM)

I think it works.

@  GamemasterAn... : (05 September 2019 - 06:53 AM)

So...Sans is a Mii Gunner costume for Smash. Comments?

@  Wulfsbane : (31 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Alright, AEW's All Out was pretty freaking good.

@  Wulfsbane : (20 August 2019 - 06:22 AM)

The Knux will Layeth the Smacketh Down all over your Candy Ass!

@  GamemasterAn... : (20 August 2019 - 05:59 AM)

"Finally, the Knux...HAS COME BACK...to Angel Island!"

@  Wulfsbane : (19 August 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Strangely I can see it.

@  Shadow : (18 August 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Imagine Dwayne Johnson voicing Knuckles...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM)

The Rock has come back? XP

@  chief : (17 August 2019 - 02:26 PM)

http://www.sonicsatam.com/sea3on/ finally...

@  Wulfsbane : (17 August 2019 - 07:40 AM)

Good to hear.

@  chief : (13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM)

We are in talk with background artists actually...

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

some traditional cel painted backgrounds would be lovely.

@  Shadow : (13 August 2019 - 12:54 AM)

Is their any plans on what might be added if the budget reaches a certain quota?

@  wildfire : (13 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

Just saw the preview for Sea3son animated. It looks awesome! Voices are great. I only wish I had money to support.

@  wildfire : (12 August 2019 - 11:30 PM)

Glad to see this place is still bustling. I went through my old comics last night, made me think of you all. I miss this place sometimes.

@  Ishapar : (12 August 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Keep screaming, Redauthar.

Photo

The Archie Sonic Reread Topic

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

So now that the comic is sadly over I've been rereading it. Has anyone else started to reread the comics as well?

I just finished rereading the first six issues, and I forgot how silly(in a bad way)the early comics were. Michael Gallagher's writing here isn't that good. I get the feeling that he thought the jokes that he was writing were funnier than they really are.

Issue 6 has a Sonic Spinball tie-in story. Unlike the game, here in the comics Sonic fails to save the animals in Dr. Robotnik's Veg-O-Fortress and gets kicked out which I imagine sums up how alot of people feel about Sonic Spinball. It's a really hard game, and I myself have never been able to get pass the beginning level.

#2 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I think it's issue 8 or maybe laterish that they start actually having a storyline.  

#3 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

So now that the comic is sadly over I've been rereading it. Has anyone else started to reread the comics as well?

I just finished rereading the first six issues, and I forgot how silly(in a bad way)the early comics were. Michael Gallagher's writing here isn't that good. I get the feeling that he thought the jokes that he was writing were funnier than they really are.

Issue 6 has a Sonic Spinball tie-in story. Unlike the game, here in the comics Sonic fails to save the animals in Dr. Robotnik's Veg-O-Fortress and gets kicked out which I imagine sums up how alot of people feel about Sonic Spinball. It's a really hard game, and I myself have never been able to get pass the beginning level.

I started the other day.  I've been sort of picking random referenced issues and going through a smattering of storylines I missed after I stopped reading around the #70's (Sonic in space? WTF?). It's weird.  With my attachment to some of the characters, it gets kind of emotional, and almost in the next pages it just goes somewhere off the deep end.  Perfect example is Sally getting married to Antoine, and Tails rejected by Fiona, during which Robotnik is trying to kill a pop singer...like really?  

Behold, the Heart of the World,
Progenitor of Life, Father and Mother, 
Alpha and Omega, Our Creator...
And Our Destroyer.

#4 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

My first Sonic comic was #2 (of the main series, not the miniseries), right off the grocery store's comic rack. I was 9 years old at the time. I didn't have a Sega Genesis, but I knew Sonic the Hedgehog from demo machines that you could find in stores like Sears and Target. (I often went to those stores just to play the demo machines.) This was a month or two before SatAM premiered, so nobody, not even Archie, had a particularly good idea of what the show was going to be like.

And that's the kind of audience those first issues were written for. So they worked great on me at the time, but then SatAM and the later issues raised the bar, and even as a kid the older issues started looking a little crummy to me. Dave Manak and Michael Gallagher is kind of a one-two punch of mediocrity if you ask me, although I doubt anyone in Gallagher's shoes could have done much better. I know I couldn't.

I still have all my Sonic comic books, which are in various states of shabbiness. A few had their covers torn off, though I may or may not still have the cover. Others look quite beat up. A few might look almost like new. But I'm not inclined to reread any of them. The AoStH-like ones are intolerable. The SatAM-like ones can be great at times, but they induce mixed feelings because I know what became of the comic since then. Also, I know these sorts of things are never as good when you reread them as an adult than they seemed as a child or teen. Sometimes it's better to let memories be memories...

#5 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

Continuing my reread just did issue 7.

Main story is about Sonic and the Freedom Fighters looking for Uncle Chuck's lost treasure which turns out to be Sonic's bronzed baby shoes.

The back up story is even stupider.

The freedom fighters are dressed up for the annual Fright Night Party.

67UBdZN.png

Sally dresses up as a sorceress and decides that she needs to go out and find a magic stick to complete her look. Robotnik sees her and thinks that she's a real sorceress and falls in love with her and wants to marry her so that they can rule Mobius together.

1vLqEqY.png

oynFdmW.png

Sonic ends up saving Sally of course.

Good god these stories are fucking terrible.

#6 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

Yikes. I think I'm glad I've never had that issue.

#7 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Around when did they start getting good (read: tolerable)? I first picked up a 2-pack of Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles and Sonic vs Knuckles Mecha Madness at a Bradlee's in the 90s.  After that, I started picking them up around the late 30's early 40s.

And Our Destroyer.

#8 furrykef

furrykef

Fellow FUSer

• Tech Guy
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

It was a gradual shift. I have to grudgingly admit that a lot of the shift in the right direction was due to Ken Penders, though even back then he had his share of stupid stories too.

There are a couple of different turning points one could name. For me the one that stands out most is Sonic #17, which had a lame main story but a SatAM-like side story, Sally's Crusade, which continued in Sonic #18 and Sonic In Your Face. Another is 3 Phases of EVE (Sonic #21), which was a decent, SatAM-like story and one of Pat Spaziante's first issues.

#9 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, Penders had at least a good vision for the series.  

And Our Destroyer.

#10 Shadow

Shadow

Fellow FUSer

• Sonic Corner Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

His vision was killing off Sally, leaving Robotnik dead, and making his Lost Ones pitch the main replacement for the plot.

#11 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

ok, ok, point.  I dunno, there was some semblance of quality in his work.

And Our Destroyer.

#12 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Every one of the writers had good and bad points.  

#13 LogiTeeka

LogiTeeka

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

ok, ok, point.  I dunno, there was some semblance of quality in his work.

I'd say that his beginning stories were a decent change of pace from the typical goofy accounts of the Freedom Fighters.

It wasn't until some point later on when he became the head writer when things started going downhill. My best guess is that the lead position started going to his head and the editors were too lazy to bother checking his stories.

Sally dresses up as a sorceress and decides that she needs to go out and find a magic stick to complete her look. Robotnik sees her and thinks that she's a real sorceress and falls in love with her and wants to marry her so that they can rule Mobius together.

1vLqEqY.png

oynFdmW.png

It's ironic that this sort of relationship between a witch and a mad scientist would later happen (for real) in the comics between Robotnik's nephew and Regina Ferrum.

Also, it appears that Robotnik does have a heart. And it's the exact color I was expecting.

#14 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Also, it appears that Robotnik does have a heart. And it's the exact color I was expecting.

Oh, that is cute, I didn't notice it at first.

And Our Destroyer.

#15 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

Issue 8.
After one of Dr. Robotnik's Swatbots catches Crabmeat reading Sonic comics, Robotnik decides to create superhero theme robots to fight Sonic.
The humor works a little better here than in past issues. There's plenty of jokes about the state of the comics industry. As a child of the 90's I understand the jokes, but I very much doubt that the target audience at the time did.

Crabmeat looks cute in this panel.
WmXGOCz.png

d9tRNN1.png

In the back-up story Snively(first real appearance)comes up with a device that will shrink people though it only last for one hour.
Sonic and the freedom fighters break one of Robotnik's rules(no music). Robotnik uses Snively's device on the freedom fighters and shrinks them. He than tries to suck them up with a vacuum that has a built in roboticizer. Just when it looks like Robotnik is going to win Snively's device wears off(fast hour), and the freedom fighters drive off Robotnik by playing some music.

WF5x6zv.png

Another meh issue.

#16 Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

those jokes....

And Our Destroyer.

#17 Vampfox

Vampfox

Fellow FUSer

• Fellow FUSer
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Issue 9.
Using all of the data that he has on Sonic, Dr Robotnik creates a robot version of Sonic called Pseudo Sonic.
Meanwhile the real Sonic is picking flowers for Sally, but ends up accidentally getting exposed to poison sumac.
40wXCKT.png
Antoine mistakes Pseudo Sonic for the real Sonic and lets him into Knothole Village.
Pseudo Sonic starts to tell Robotnik where Knothole is but Tails stops him by running in a circle around Pseudo Sonic.
Robotnik has been triangulating the area of Pseudo Sonic's last transmission and comes across the weaken Sonic, but Bunnie saves him from Robotnik.

Meh story. Sonic never even meets Pseudo Sonic.

Back-up story.
Sonic's picking flowers for Sally's birthday and a Mobian Needle Bird falls on his head. Sonic names the bird Thorny and decides to give him to Sally as a gift.Sally thinks that it could be another animal that Robotnik has booby trapped. To make matters worst Thorny eats Sally's birthday cake.
Sally goes the forrest to pick some berries to make more birthday cake, and Sonic goes to return Thorny to his nest. Just then Sonic hears Sally scream. She has been grabbed by one of Robotnik's robots that was disguised as a tree. Sonic and Thorny save her. Afterwards Sally names Thorny an honorary member of the freedom fighters(Thorny will never appear in the book again.

Also there's a one page comic about a badnik so scary that Robotnik orders it destroyed.
CcGXQcQ.png

Just another boring issue.

#18 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Yeah I gotta talk to my local comic shop. They're good at finding old issues. I'll see if I can get some so I can join in

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

#19 RedAuthar

RedAuthar

The Spambot Killer.

• Admins
  • 38,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

Best way is to pick up the collections like Sonic Firsts.  'Course again, some of these are downright skip able.  

#20 Wulfsbane

Wulfsbane

One of the Scribes

• Moderators
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Best way is to pick up the collections like Sonic Firsts.  'Course again, some of these are downright skip able.  

You mean all of Penders :P

The Scribes, if anyone wants to join a growing community. Ask me if you want to know more.

“Some say that he is the only man in history to buy a DFS sofa when there wasn’t a sale on, and that his favourite boxing venue is Munich airport. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that if you hold him in the wrong way he doesn’t work properly, and that just very recently he developed an irrational hatred of Rubens Barrichello. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:13

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)