Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Sunnyfruit : (20 May 2018 - 01:20 AM)

I think the only part that actually changed is that the Sega mascot can't be disposable.

@  Sunnyfruit : (20 May 2018 - 01:19 AM)

"But I think it's fair to say that Sega didn't "value" characters and their worth very highly in terms of how marketable they were. Instead they treat a character as something that was created, used and disposed." Yasuhara in the 2018 postmortem

@  LogiTeeka : (19 May 2018 - 11:27 PM)

I guess that's to be expected for a franchise that was purposely made to be "hip and trendy" since its conception.

@  Clocktopus : (19 May 2018 - 12:47 PM)

"No longer relevant." Ugh. Goes to show how little they understand comics. The Joker was a throwaway villain until the 60's show.

@  LogiTeeka : (19 May 2018 - 12:38 PM)

Sticks' confirmation in IDW is a bit iffy at the moment since Ian needs to double check with the higher-ups to see if it's okay. She had official artwork posted on Sonic Channel and was featured in one of the "Mario & Sonic" titles, but that was back when "Boom" was still airing. Now that the show might've ended, it's possible that she might no longer be considered relevant.

@  Shadow : (19 May 2018 - 10:29 AM)

She was already confirmed and slated for a future storyline set next year I think.

@  Quickster : (19 May 2018 - 09:26 AM)

Speaking of, I wonder if we'll see Sticks in IDW?

@  RedAuthar : (18 May 2018 - 10:30 PM)

To be fair it's no different than when they added Sticks though in Boom. It's just a change of the formula. You either hate it, love it, or shrug your shoulders because it's neither here no there.

@  RedAuthar : (18 May 2018 - 10:29 PM)

Ah the inevitable character's family in expanded media. It's never done "right" but is never really done "wrong" either. Either we have characters that would be interesting but never explored, dumb characters that appear too often, or characters that even though have potential, take away from the existing charac ter.
Example Tails's parents: Firstly, other than their pointless rebellion (Let's be fair, nobody had a problem with the Monarchy until they needed one, so it comes outta nowhere and ultimately goes nowhere as nobody listens to the new rules anyways), you forget they're even there. And when they're there they're only to cause conflict not make Tails grow as a character. Secondly Tails's character from the start was Sonic's "little bro" and his family was always the Freedom Fighters. It kinda takes away his tragic backstory if he instantly gets along with his parents and just accepts they're now part of his life. It honestly would have been more interesting if Tails sided against his parents in the rebellion. They could all grow on different political ideals and learn to come together over conflict.

Also Jules and Bernadette were awesome parents to Tails. They deserve better than "Oh hey my real parents are here, bye."

@  Uncle Ben : (18 May 2018 - 08:23 PM)

Ehh, House of Cards was a great idea but poorly executed

@  Uncle Ben : (18 May 2018 - 08:23 PM)

They can.

@  LogiTeeka : (18 May 2018 - 07:05 PM)

*saying

@  LogiTeeka : (18 May 2018 - 07:05 PM)

Wait, I'm confused. You're sating orphans can't be relatable characters?

@  Sunnyfruit : (18 May 2018 - 12:41 PM)

Chuck is unironically one of my favorite Sonic characters. The lack of family links lead to asocial, cliché cookie-cutter characters imho.

@  Quickster : (18 May 2018 - 11:31 AM)

Regardless, the House of Cards arc was awesome.

@  Uncle Ben : (18 May 2018 - 07:54 AM)

However, Armadeus and Rosemary were terrible in comparison

@  Uncle Ben : (18 May 2018 - 07:53 AM)

Plus Jules with the verbal smackdown to Scrouge was excellent.

@  Uncle Ben : (18 May 2018 - 07:53 AM)

I disagree, yes you can say his friends are like his family but when Jules and Bernadette were shown in the comic it kept Sonic grounded to an extent and gave him a bit more to be relatable.

@  LogiTeeka : (18 May 2018 - 07:34 AM)

I don't think it's necessary for Sonic to have relatives when he already has plenty of friends and allies that he can call his family.

@  GamemasterAn... : (18 May 2018 - 07:16 AM)

Personally, I don't like the idea of not including any kind of familial relationships...at least in the comics. The games are fine as games are supposed to be more about gameplay rather than story, but redacting Sonic so no family is around takes way too much away from his character for the narrative to work.

3.jpg

3.jpg